Red Flag Law Takes Another Life- Family in Disbelief


Police Say Proof That A New Red Flag Law Protective Order Is Needed

Two Anne Arundel County police officers were doing their job, when they tried to confiscate a firearm. The officers had a protective order, covered under the ‘Red Flag Protective Order‘ which is designed to remove guns from dangerous and unstable people in counties throughout Maryland.

The officers arrived with the order in hand to Ferndale, MD around 5am. The man who was killed was Gary J. Willis,60, of Ferndale, the officers gave the order to Gary.

The officers asked for the gun in question, but Willis flat out refused to comply with the order. Gary was armed with a gun in his hand when he answered his front door, a struggle started. Willis was shot after failing to comply.

An account offered from a spokesperson from the Arundel Police Department, said that Willis at first put the gun down. After Gary read the order, he became furious, and tried to grab his firearm.

One officer and Willis struggled for the gun, it went off, but did not hit anyone. At that point the other officer, shot and killed Gary, first responders pronounced him dead at the scene.

For Security Reasons The Names Of The Officers Involved in The Shooting Has Not Been Released

Neither officer was injured in the incident, Sgt Jacklyn Davis, an Arundale Police Spokesperson, said she has no information regarding other people in the home. Davis said ‘at this time it’s unclear who sought the protective order to begin with’.

The ‘Red Flag Protective Orders’ are filed by friends, family or employers of people known to own guns. The object of the protective order, must have displayed behavior that indicates they are a danger to themselves or others.

The law took effect on October 1st. Willis’ home was in the 100 block of Linwood Ave in Ferndale, Maryland. The court registrar said the information from the Willis protective order has not been unsealed by the court.

“If you look at this morning’s outcome, it’s tough for us to say ‘Well, what did we prevent?’ ” Police Chief Admits She Does Not Know If The Death- Serving Red Flag Prevented Anything . “Because we don’t know what we prevented or could’ve prevented. What would’ve happened if we didn’t go there at 5 a.m.?”

Police arrived at the Willis home before they came with the protective order. The niece of Gary, Michelle Willis was also present at the home.

Michelle Willis The Niece Of Gary Willis Said That It Was A Family Situation

The niece of Gary Willis was at the home on Sunday evening when police arrived to speak to Gary. Michelle said a family decision is what set the wheels in motion to get the protective order against Willis.

Michelle said her uncle “likes to speak his mind,” but she described him as harmless.
“I’m just dumbfounded right now,” she said. “My uncle wouldn’t hurt anybody.”

She refused to elaborate any further, or when pressed she would not give specific details. According to Michelle, she said it was ‘an aunt’ that actually went to court to get the guns removed from the house. Michelle said her son was in the home on Sunday night helping her care for her grandfather, who was also living at the residence.

Michelle said several family members also live in the home. She said her uncle Gary lived in an apartment above the garage of her residence. Neighbors said, that Gary Willis has lived in the apartment for several years.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here